Hi, When I try to open Virtual machine with win2008srv on workstation 10 I received a message “ Unable to open .vmdk file” anybody can help me? Any suggestion? I need to recover this .vmdk file data. Thanks in advance
If the above query seems to be familiar with you and you are facing the same problem. Then read this article. We will describe you the various possible reasons why you are getting the error like
unable to open file VMDK Vmware file. If you are in fear of losing your valuable data. We will provide you with the best possible methods to recover data from the .vmdk file.
What is VMDK file format?
VMDK stands for virtual machine disk file. It uses the same interface as for physical hard disk.
Vmware designed the VMDK format to mimic the operation of the physical disk. The entire data of the virtual machine are stored in VMDK file format. The virtual disk is stored as one or more VMDK files on the host computer or remote storage device and appeared to the guest operating system as the standard disk drive.
Reasons For Unable to Open VMDK VMware File
Here are reasons why the user is getting the issue like this unable to open VMDK file:
- If the VMDK file contains any kind of malware or spyware then the user will get an error unable to open VMDK file.
- Virtual machine VMDK files are volatile and easily become corrupted.
- Vmdk file may also be corrupted when host machine restarts accidentally or virtual machine is not shut down in the proper way, or any hardware or software related issue, the user will get an error unable to open VMDK VMware because of the corruption occur in the VMDK file.
Manual Method to Solve Unable to Open File VMDK VMware
When looking at the source virtual machine via datastore browser, the name of the VMDK files have an extra number appended and this name does not match the name of the virtual machine.
For example, if the virtual machine name is “MyVM” then the files are named as “MyVM-00010.vmdk”. To resolve this issue :
The user has to rename the VMDK files to remove -XXXXX and update the .vmdk file. For example -Rename the VMDK files to MyVm.vmdk
The user has to Open the *vmx file for the virtual machine and then search for the references to the VMDK file and remove the -XXXXX in the reference as well. And then save the file.
Note – The above manual method has some limitations. This method will not work if the .vmdk file is severely corrupted. If the severe corruption occurs in the .vmdk file in that case the user has to prefer third party software to save the data from severe corruption.
Automated Solution to Resolve Unable to Open VMDK File
Here is the automated solution VMware recovery software to open and restore virtual machine data from corrupt VMDK files. This is an efficient software built with the advanced set of algorithms which helps to recover the data from any size VMDK files in just one click.
Follow the mention steps to recover the data from the corrupted VMDK files:
1. Download and Install the software.
2. Click on Scan to load the VMware .vmdk file in the software.
3. Scan for the virtual machine and then browse its location.
4. Select the VM folder and click on OK.
5. Click on Scan. After scanning the scan report will be generated.
6. Click Save to save the report in CSV format.
7. Preview the data after loading it into the software.
From the above write-up, one can get the ideas regarding how to solve unable to open .vmdk file. Problem We have given the various possible reasons for corruption occur in the VMDK file and we have given the manual and automated solution to resolve the issue cannot open VMDK file in Vmware. The manual method does not work properly and results in a time-consuming task and in data loss. So in order to avoid these problem users can opt for the automated solution to resolve this issue.