WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY THEME AND SLOGAN
Each year celebration of the World Environment Day is based on the particular theme decided by the United Nations to make the celebration more effective by encouraging mass people worldwide to hugely take part in addressing environmental issues on global scale. Year wise list of the themes and slogans of world environment day are mentioned below:
- The theme of the year 2018 is “Beat Plastic Pollution”.
- The theme of the year 2017 was “Connecting People to Nature”.
- The theme of the year 2016 was “Zero tolerance for the illegal trade in wildlife” (highlights the fight against the illegal trade in wildlife).
- The theme of the year 2015 was “One World, One Environment”.
- The theme of the year 2014 was “small island developing states” or “SIDS” and “Raise your voice, not the sea level”.
- The theme of the year 2013 was “Think. Eat. Save.” And slogan was “Reduce Your Foodprint”.
- The theme of the year 2012 was “Green Economy: Does it include you?”.
- The theme of the year 2011 was “Forests: Nature at your Service”.
- The theme of the year 2010 was “Many Species. One Planet. One Future”.
- The theme of the year 2009 was “Your Planet Needs You – Unite to Combat Climate Change”.
- The theme and slogan of the year 2008 was “CO2, Kick the Habit – Towards a Low Carbon Economy”.
- The theme of the year 2007 was “Melting Ice – a Hot Topic?”.
- The theme of the year 2006 was “Deserts and Desertification” and slogan was “Don’t Desert Drylands!.”
- The theme of the year 2005 was “Green Cities” and slogan was “Plan for the Planet!”.
- The theme of the year 2004 was “Wanted! Seas and Oceans” and slogan was “Dead or Alive?”.
- The theme of the year 2003 was “Water” and slogan was “Two Billion People are Dying for It!”.
- The theme of the year 2002 was “Give Earth a Chance”.
- The theme of the year 2001 was “Connect with the World Wide Web of Life”.
- The theme of the year 2000 was “The Environment Millennium” and slogan was “Time to Act”.
- The theme of the year 1999 was “Our Earth – Our Future” and slogan was “Just Save It!”.
- The theme of the year 1998 was “For Life on Earth and slogan was “Save Our Seas”.
- The theme of the year 1997 was “For Life on Earth”.
- The theme of the year 1996 was “Our Earth, Our Habitat, Our Home”.
- The theme of the year 1995 was “We the Peoples: United for the Global Environment”.
- The theme of the year 1994 was “One Earth One Family”.
- The theme of the year 1993 was “Poverty and the Environment and slogan was “Breaking the Vicious Circle”.
- The theme of the year 1992 was “Only One Earth, Care and Share”.
- The theme of the year 1991 was “Climate Change. Need for Global Partnership”.
- The theme of the year 1990 was “Children and the Environment”.
- The theme of the year 1989 was “Global Warming; Global Warning”.
- The theme of the year 1988 was “When People Put the Environment First, Development Will Last”.
- The theme of the year 1987 was “Environment and Shelter: More Than A Roof”.
- The theme of the year 1986 was “A Tree for Peace”.
- The theme of the year 1985 was “Youth: Population and the Environment”.
- The theme of the year 1984 was “Desertification”.
- The theme of the year 1983 was “Managing and Disposing Hazardous Waste: Acid Rain and Energy”.
- The theme of the year 1982 was “Ten Years after Stockholm (Renewal of Environmental Concerns)”.
- The theme of the year 1981 was “Ground Water; Toxic Chemicals in Human Food Chains”.
- The theme of the year 1980 was “A New Challenge for the New Decade: Development without Destruction”.
- The theme of the year 1979 was “Only One Future for Our Children and slogan was “Development without Destruction”.
- The theme of the year 1978 was “Development without Destruction”.
- The theme of the year 1977 was “Ozone Layer Environmental Concern; Lands Loss and Soil Degradation”.
- The theme of the year 1976 was “Water: Vital Resource for Life”.
- The theme of the year 1975 was “Human Settlements”.
- The theme of the year 1974 was “Only one Earth during Expo ’74”.
- The theme of the year 1973 was “Only one Earth”.
WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY QUOTES
Some of the famous quotes (written by the famous personalities) on world environment day are mentioned below:
“The environment is everything that isn’t me”. – Albert Einstein
“God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools”. – John Muir
“Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth”. – Henry David Thoreau
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has”. – Margaret Mead
“We won’t have a society if we destroy the environment”. – Margaret Mead
“It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment”. – Ansel Adams
“I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise what is there to defend”? – Robert Redford
“Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you”. – John Muir
“Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we’ll soon be in trouble”. – Roger Tory Peterson
“By polluting clear water with slime you will never find good drinking water”. – Aeschylus
“If we do not permit the earth to produce beauty and joy, it will in the end not produce food, either”. – Joseph Wood Krutch
“They claim this mother of ours, the Earth, for their own use, and fence their neighbors away from her, and deface her with their buildings and their refuse”. – Sitting Bull
“Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land”. – Aldo Leopold
“After all, sustainability means running the global environment – Earth Inc. – like a corporation: with depreciation, amortization and maintenance accounts. In other words, keeping the asset whole, rather than undermining your natural capital”. – Maurice Strong
“Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left”. – Aldo Leopold
“You will die but the carbon will not; its career does not end with you. It will return to the soil, and there a plant may take it up again in time, sending it once more on a cycle of plant and animal life”. -Jacob Bronowski
“People blame their environment. There is only one person to blame – and only one – themselves”. – Robert Collier
“I can find God in nature, in animals, in birds and the environment”. – Pat Buckley
“We must return to nature and nature’s god”. – Luther Burbank
“The only way forward, if we are going to improve the quality of the environment, is to get everybody involved”. – Richard Rogers
“Journey with me to a true commitment to our environment. Journey with me to the serenity of leaving to our children a planet in equilibrium”. – Paul Tsongas
“Environmental degradation, overpopulation, refugees, narcotics, terrorism, world crime movements, and organized crime are worldwide problems that don’t stop at a nation’s borders”. – Warren Christopher
“I think the government has to reposition environment on top of their national and international priorities”. – Brian Mulroney
“Environmental concern is now firmly embedded in public life: in education, medicine and law; in journalism, literature and art”. – Barry Commoner
“Earth Day 1970 was irrefutable evidence that the American people understood the environmental threat and wanted action to resolve it”. – Barry Commoner
“The government should set a goal for a clean environment but not mandate how that goal should be implemented”. – Dixie Lee Ray
“Why has it seemed that the only way to protect the environment is with heavy-handed government regulation”? – Gale Norton
“The most important environmental issue is one that is rarely mentioned, and that is the lack of a conservation ethic in our culture”. – Gaylord Nelson
“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed”. – Mahatma Gandhi
“What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and to one another”. – Mahatma Gandhi
VidLyf Blog is the next generation news portal featuring Latest News, Updates from Technology, Entertainment, Sports, Business, World Politics, Fashion, Lifestyle, Health, etc. Stay Updated, Stay Ahead!