Because of the increasing demand for Microsoft Outlook, users are rapidly migrating from Windows Live Mail to Outlook. It is a free email application for Windows operating systems. To execute this migration, users are required to move all Windows Live Mail emails and other data items to Microsoft Outlook. Undoubtedly, a new start is impossible until users have their old email messages, contacts, and other information to continue their business.
Thus, this article discusses the techniques and the requirements of EML to PST conversion to migrate from Windows Live Mail to Microsoft Outlook. Yet, before going further it is important to know about EML and PST file formats and reasons to convert EML files to PST. So let us get started.
Brief Introduction to EML and PST File Formats
EML file is an electronic mail file that contains an individual email message having .eml extension. It is an archived email messages file that preserves the primary formatting and headers. This file incorporates plain ASCII text for headers, message body, hyperlinks, and attachments.
PST file is Personal storage table of Microsoft Outlook that saves the emails, calendars, contacts, events, to-do list etc. A PST file is generated when a mail account is configured.
There may several reasons for what users are required to switch from Windows Live Mail to Outlook, such as:
- Outlook is the best email client which provides several advance features.
- An error occurred while accessing EML file in Windows Live Mail.
- Crash/corruption of email application of the computer.
- Accidental deletion of the configured account.
Windows Live Mail store their email data in EML file extension. All the WLM emails are stored into a separated EML file. Convert Windows Live Mail emails to PST is required to access all WLM emails into Outlook email application.
Convert Windows Live Mail Emails, Contacts, and Calendars to Outlook
To migrate from Windows Live Mail to Microsoft Outlook it is important to move all data items like email messages, contacts, calendar entries etc. To execute this task, you must have Microsoft Outlook installed on your computer.
Move Contacts from Windows Live Mail to Outlook
- Launch Windows Live Mail application.
- Click Contacts >> Export and choose Comma Separated Values (.CSV) file format.
- Now, in the CSV Export wizard click on Browse and select Desktop folder.
- Type WLM Contacts in the file name section and click on the Save button.
- Hit the Next button and select all the fields that you need to export.
- Hit the Finish button to begin the export process.
Note: First Name, Last Name, Email address, Contact number are some most common fields. Just select all the fields, if you are not sure about the contact information.
- Quit Windows Live Mail program.
- Launch Microsoft Outlook.
- Choose the Contacts folder, click on File >> Open >> Import.
- Select Import option from another program or file and hit the Next button.
- Choose Comma Separated Values (Windows) >> Next.
- Click on Browse and choose the exported file WLM Contacts from your Desktop folder. Then click on Open.
Note: One can also choose some additional options to eliminate duplicate contacts.
- Click on Next and make sure that the Contacts folder is selected then, click on the Next button.
- Hit the Finish button and wait until the import process gets completed successfully.
Note:The complete procedure may take some time and it depends upon the number of contacts you are exporting.
Export Calendar from Windows Live Mail to Outlook
- Open Windows Live Mail program.
- Choose the Calendar folder and verify that you are logged in via your Windows Live Mail ID.
- Click on Send/Receive button to synchronize your calendar.
- Quit Windows Live Mail.
- Go to the Windows Live Mail Calendar webpage http://calendar.live.com and log in via your Windows Live ID.
- Hit the Share button and choose the calendar that you want to migrate.
- Choose Share this calendar option.
- Check Send people a view-only link to your calendar option.
- Here you will get few links to share your calendar. If you are not getting any link, click on “Get your calendar links (this will also save your settings)”. Then, click on OK.
- Now, under the category Links it will display the event details, click on ICS.
- Choose and copy the URL displaying without the webcal:// prefix.
- Launch Internet Explorer and open a new window. Here paste the URL without webcal:// prefix in address bar and hit the Enter button.
- Save calendar.ics file on your local computer.
Note:The above-mentioned procedure can export one calendar at a time. So, repeat all steps to export each calendar.
Note:These steps will save and share your calendars and after that, you can make the calendar private again via enabling “Don’t share this calendar (keep it private)” option.
- Close Internet Explorer wizard and now you can save all the .ICS files you are required.
- Launch Microsoft Outlook application and click on File >> Open and Export >> Import/Export.
- Choose Import an iCalendar (.ics) or vCalendar file (.vcs) option and hit the Next button.
- Select ICS calendar file from Desktop folder and click on OK.
- Now, click on Import and the process will begin now.
Export Emails from Windows Live Mail to Outlook
To migrate emails from Windows Live Mail to Outlook, we recommend to utilize a trusted solution EML to PST converter. The application is capable to export EML files or folder into Outlook PST format. Users can utilize this tool to export selective emails or the complete folder of EML files to Outlook PST in bulk. After EML to PST conversion, the software creates a Unicode PST file. These Unicode Outlook PST files are compatible with MS Outlook 2003, 2007 and all above versions. Also, a user can save up to 20 GB of data in the output Unicode PST file. This feature helps users to avoid the issues related to the large sized Outlook PST file. The entire process of Windows Live Mail to Outlook migration can be performed in few simple steps with this amazing utility.
To perform Windows Live Mail to Outlook migration, it is must to convert EML files to PST. It is so because an EML file can contain the contents of a single email where a single PST file can comprise several emails and other data items within it. Thus, EML to PST conversion is essential to migrate from Windows Live Mail to Outlook. Here, we have discussed some simple and cost-efficient techniques for the same.
I first go through manual methods but due to some issues, I found it not effective so I used Softaken EML to PST Converter and got best results. You may go for the tool.